Colliers Wood United 1 Swans 1

Tuesday 11th September 2018. Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Premier Division.

Colliers Wood United 1 Walton & Hersham 1.

Swans put on a much improved performance at the Wibbandune Stadium that could well have seen them pick up a much-needed win. Although they offered the home side opportunities, they had several good chances of their own that could have seen them add to the lead gained in the 23rd minute and win the three points.

Luke Randall and Krzysztof Zlocki, made their first starts of the season, Randall’s inclusion at right-back allowing Ryan David to move into central defence. With Monty Everett having suffered a head injury against Redhill, Harrison Deacon returned up front, along with Mo Kamara.

The home side had the first chance of note after 17 minutes when Carlos Talbot played the ball in low from the right, and when it broke to Dan Campion by the right corner of the box he shot wide of the near-post.

But it was Swans who took the lead after 23 minutes when they forced a corner on the right. From Craig Lewington’s kick Dan Band was at the far-post to get in a header that home goalkeeper Sean Fallon just failed to keep out. There was then a hold-up for several minutes while the former Swans’ keeper received treatment for a knock.

Just past the half hour Talbot again got free on the right for Colliers Wood, and when he laid the ball across, Campion was in the box to get in a shot that Swans’ keeper Craig Bradshaw did well to push round his left-post. Following Ryan Doherty’s corner from the right the ball came to Owen Davies 30 yards out, and he drove a shot over the goal. Bradshaw soon had to make an even better save when the home side broke on the left, and Campion was free in the box to get in another shot that was again turned round his left-post by the Swans’ keeper. Sebastian Morally sent a glancing header over from Doherty’s corner-kick. Colliers Wood again threatened in the final minute of the half when Michael Fahm got into the right of the box, but the ball was eventually cleared.

Swans had a chance soon after the resumption when Band’s diagonal ball from the right picked out Zlocki on the left, and when he got the ball in to Deacon, he put it over the bar. Deacon was then at full-stretch, but just failed to get to the ball when Lewington’s free-kick from the left went across the 6-yard box.

Just past the hour Deacon was replaced by Marlon Pinder, who was returning after missing several games with injury.

Midway through the second-half Swans got the ball over from the left, and Band struck a good shot from 25 yards that was well saved by Fallon. Band was soon getting in a far-post header from Lewington’s right-side corner that Fallon just managed to keep out, and the loose ball was then put over.

Ali Fofanah, who was originally in the starting line-up, but arrived late, then came on for Dariush Heravi.

With twenty minutes remaining Swans had a great chance to double their lead when a goal-kick from Fallon was blocked and Pinder broke clear into the box, but the home keeper did well to come out and block the ball.

Instead of being further ahead Swans were pulled level just two minutes later. Aaron Stephens was allowed to get in on the left, and Fahm was in the box to drive a shot past Bradshaw and inside the right post.

Swans should have regained the lead almost immediately when Kamara forced a corner on the right. From Lewington’s kick Pinder was unmarked in front of goal, but headed over.

Swans almost paid for the miss when Fahm cut in from the left to strike a powerful shot from 25 yards that Bradshaw turned round his left post with a fine save.

Band got Kamara to the byline on the right for Swans, but his low ball in was blocked away. With just over five minutes remaining Zlocki drove the ball over from the right, and a home defender had to dive and head it behind Band got in a header from Lewington’s right-side corner, but Fallon saved comfortably.

The home side pressed hard for a winner, Davies shooting just over from the edge of the box when the ball came in from the left, and another shot clearing the bar after an attack on the right.

In the final minute of normal-time Swans had a chance when Pinder brought the ball down ten yards out when it came in from the left, but he put a half-volley over. Colliers Wood again shot over when the ball was crossed in from the left, but Swans had another fine chance to win it. A clearance sent Pinder racing clear, but he delayed his shot and the ball was blocked away to Fofanah in the left of the box, but his shot was deflected over the goal.

There was one final threat to Swans in stoppage-time when they conceded a corner on the right, but the ball was safely headed clear at the far-post.

Swans’ Team: Craig Bradshaw, Luke Randall, Michael Holliday, Craig Lewington, Conor Symon, Ryan David, Krzysztof Zlocki, Dan Band (Dre Grobler 86’), Harrison Deacon (Marlon Pinder 61’), Dariush Heravi (Ali Fofanah 69’), Mo Kamara. Subs. not used: Harry Wise, Dave Hill. Scorer: Band (23’). Caution: Band (85’).

CWU Team: Fallon, Talbot, Stephens, Morally (Sheehan-Cozens 38’), Davies, Snook, Doherty, Clarke (Harding 57’), Campion, Emmanuel, Fahm. Subs. not used: Emery, Mongston, Kimera. Scorer: Fahm (72’).

  • Uncategorized
    New Date