AFC Hayes 2 Swans 5

Saturday 10 December 2016.     Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Premier Division.

AFC Hayes 2   Walton & Hersham 5.

Swans showed their credentials on a sticky pitch at Farm Park as they made light of what could have been a tricky encounter. They had already missed a couple of presentable chances before they went two goals up after 17 minutes, and their 2-0 lead at the break could well have been double that. The home team mounted a challenge at the beginning of the second-half, but three goals in a nine minute spell that put Swans 5-0 up just past the hour put the game out of their reach. Two goals conceded in the final quarter of an hour were minor blips on what was otherwise a fine display.

With both Malachi Thomas and Billy Marshall unavailable, Jordan Wisdom-Muir started along with new signing Nathan Gordon, the former Molesey player coming in for his debut at left-back.

The home side quickly won a corner, but Swans soon had one of their own, and from Elliott Simpson’s kick from the left Lea Van Sullivan should have scored, but he put a glancing header wide. An even better chance came after Jamil Okai had burst into the left of the box to win another corner. This time it was Olade Yusuf who headed a clear chance wide from Simpson’s kick.

A free-kick from deep by AFC Hayes’ Dan McDonnell led to a header from the left of the box that was blocked for a corner, just before Swans took the lead after 12 minutes. Wisdom-Muir played the ball through to Howard Newton in the right of the box, and he worked the space before neatly rolling the ball into the far corner.

Wisdom-Muir was soon sending Okai racing clear, but after taking the ball past advancing goalkeeper Cameron Kennedy he could not force it home, and Simpson followed in to drive a shot over from outside the box. But after 17 minutes Simpson took a free-kick from the right, and when Sullivan nodded the ball back across at the far-post Jamie Thoroughgood forced it over the line to double Swans’ lead.

It was almost 3-0 straight after the restart, but Newton’s clever attempt to lob Kennedy from outside the left of the box sent the ball against the crossbar.

The home side had an opportunity from a free-kick 25 yards out, but the ball was driven well over, and when Harry Carter made a good run forward he finished with a shot from outside the box that went wide.

Just past the half hour AFC Hayes’ McDonnell got in an awful mix-up with his keeper Kennedy and TJ Nkoma got possession on the left, but his attempt to score from a tight angle was cleared. Okai then cut into the box on the left before laying the ball back to Newton, who drove a shot just over.

The home side threatened when Josh Quadry got clear, but Swans’ keeper Liam Beach did well to come out and fall on the ball. The half ended with Simpson playing the ball in from the right to Okai, but he shot wide.

AFC Hayes came out for the second-half looking to attack, and Nathaniel Mensah’s low shot from 25 yards looked on target until it took a deflection to go wide.

Swans replied with Nkoma making a good run on the right before he cut inside and was fouled outside the box, but Gordon drove the free-kick over.

Beach had to make a save at his near-post as the home side got in a low shot from 25 yards out on the right, and the ball went behind for a corner.

But after 53 minutes Swans effectively made the game safe with a fine third goal. Nkoma got down the right before playing the ball inside to Simpson, and then got into the right of the box to take Simpson’s return pass. Nkoma then drove a terrific right-foot shot past Kennedy and into the top of the net from the right of the six-yard box.

Five minutes later it was 4-0 when a free-kick was played forward into the box to pick out Louis Taylor, and he clipped a first-time shot past keeper Kennedy.

Swans made it three goals in nine minutes when Simpson sent in a free-kick from the left touchline and Okai rose at the near-post to score with a glancing header.

With a quarter of the match remaining a mix-up between Kennedy and his defence let the ball run loose for Joe Grant to tap home, but the Swans’ substitute was ruled offside.

There was a quarter of an hour left when the home side got some reward for their second-half efforts, Sekani McCalmon following up to score after Beach had done well to block a shot.

Substitute Scott Todd went close to regaining Swans’ five goal margin with a fine, left-foot shot from 30 yards that flew just over.

But that margin was reduced to three five minutes from time when a ball in from the left was turned in at the near-post by Rhys Rabess.

Swans’ Team: Liam Beach, Olade Yusuf, Nathan Gordon, Louis Taylor (Seb Castello 67’), Lea Van Sullivan, Jamie Thoroughgood, Jordan Wisdom-Muir, Elliott Simpson, Jamil Okai, (Joe Grant 63’), Howard Newton (Scoit Todd 63’), TJ Nkoma. Subs. not used: Cameron Gyeabour, Sam Bates. Scorers: H. Newton (12’), Thoroughgood (17’), Nkoma (53’), Taylor (58’), Okai (62’). Caution: Gordon (40’).                    

AFC Hayes Team: Kennedy, Bosu-Acquah, Bishop (Charles-Jones 60’), McDonnell (Sillah 45′), Schofield, Mitchell, Quadry, Carter (Ahmadi 60’), McCalmon, Mensah, Rabess. Subs, not used: Tesfu, Hubbard. Scorers: McCalmon (75’), Rabess (85’). Cautions: Carter (57’), Schofield (65’), Rabess (90’), Charles-Jones (90+1’).