Casuals 1 Swans 2

Tuesday 29 October 2013                                              Robert Dyas League Cup, 2nd Round.  


Walton Casuals 1    Walton & Hersham 2.

 Swans set up another local derby at Kingstonian in the 3rd Round on Monday the 4th of November with a deserved win over their near neighbours. A missed penalty that would have put them 2-0 up after 37 minutes did not in the end prove costly, and they looked comfortably in charge for most of the match.

With Warren Gladdy and Andy Lomas held up in traffic, James Cameron’s match plans were sent awry, with the latecomers unable to be named in the starting line-up. Goalkeeper Milan Stojsavljevic was also unavailable, being required by Aldershot Town, so new signing Dane Buss came in between the posts. The former Chalfont St. Peter keeper looked confident in goal, although not being severely tested for most of the match.

Swans started well, and Julian Owusu was soon getting forward to drive a left-foot shot over from outside the box. Will Turl then played the ball through to get Samad Kazi into the box, but under pressure his low shot was saved by Casuals’ keeper Kieran Sanderson. Sanderson then came out to again deny Kazi, who had been played into the left of the box, with Turl again the provider.

The home side’s first effort came after ten minutes when Liam Collins struck a low shot wide from 25 yards. Swans were almost undone two minutes later, being caught unawares when the referee allowed Casuals to take a free-kick quickly. Collins played another former Swan, David Francis, into clear space on the right, but his strong cross-shot rattled the far-post. Francis was again played through on the right after 26 minutes, but this time he shot across goal and wide.

Swans took the lead two minutes later. Turl’s through ball sent Kazi racing clear, with some doubt about him being offside, and he ran on to take the ball around Sanderson before calmly slotting home.

Swans had the chance to double their lead after 37 minutes when Kazi again forced his way into the box, before going down after being converged on by several home defenders. There seemed to be some validity in the protests of the Casuals’ players as the award of a penalty looked somewhat harsh. Although Juan Onieva struck the spot-kick well, Sanderson pulled off a fine save, diving to his right to push the ball away.

Casuals soon had a free-kick 25 yards out, and Sol Patterson-Bohner sent in a strong shot that Buss got well behind to beat the ball down. Buss then had to rush out of his box to scramble the ball away from the feet of Jamal-Deen Jimoh, who had looked like getting in on the left.

Swans looked comfortable as the second-half progressed, and with just over an hour played Turl did well to hook the ball in from the right, and it was just taken off the head of the waiting Kazi. Onieva then made a good break with Owusu in support, but could not play his colleague in. With a quarter of an hour remaining Louis Glace-Palmer replaced Turl, and he was soon getting a chance against his former club, but Sanderson went down to save his good strike from the right of the box.

Swans finally doubled their lead in the final minute of normal-time, warding off the threat of a possible penalty shoot-out. Glace-Palmer unsettled the home defence as he ran onto a clearance, and when the ball came to Owusu inside the left of the box, he rolled it just inside the far-post.

The home side threw men forward in stoppage-time, and Buss had to save a far-post header from substitute Connor French as a cross came in from the left. Then in the fifth and final minute of the additional time Casuals were awarded a free-kick on the right, and when the ball was driven in low it came to French, and the former Swan drove it firmly past Buss. The goal proved a mere consolation as there was just time left for the match to be restarted before the final whistle blew.

Swans’ Team: Dane Buss, Ben Dyett, John Clark (Andy Lomas 64’), Mark McLeod (Warren Gladdy 33’), Ishmael Thomas, Chris Grayland, Juan Onieva, André Scarlett,  Julian Owusu, Will Turl (Louis Glace-Palmer 68’), Samad Kazi. Subs. not used: Steve Betancourt, Ashley Thompson. Scorers: Kazi (28’), Owusu (89’). Caution: Thomas, foul (38’).                    

Casuals’ Team: Sanderson, Hall, Flanighan (Sullivan 73’), Siaw, Dynan, Patterson-Bohner, Francis (French 59’), Jimoh (Akande 59’), Okai, Collins, Johnson. Sub. not used: Day. Scorer: French (90+5’). Cautions: Flanighan, foul (44’), Collins, foul (45+1’), Smart, foul (80’).