Farnham Town 3 Swans 0

Tuesday 24tht September 2019. Cherry Red Records Premier Challenge Cup, 2nd Round.

Farnham Town 3 Walton & Hersham 0.

Swans’ recent poor cup record showed little sign of changing at a drizzly Memorial Ground. Although the home side led 1-0 at the break, the first-half was a pretty even affair, but slack defending could well have seen Swans punished more than the two times they were in the second. With some regulars being rested, it was a side showing several changes that started the match, with Arber Rexhepi, Sam Osei and Mamadaliu Balde all making their first appearances. Swans made a positive start, and inside the first minute Michael Winnister had a chance inside the box blocked away for a corner. Tyreke Leslie then made a surging run forward from halfway to get to just outside the box, but his final shot lacked the power to bear home goalkeeper Aaron Bufton. Balde made a good run on the left to win a corner, following which Ryan Smith had a shot from 25 yards that Bufton got behind. With 25 minutes played Leslie got in on the right byline to lay the ball across, but Arif Hattabi was just prevented from getting a shot away. But it was the home side that opened the scoring after 32 minutes when a driven cross from the left was met firmly by the head of Logan Peel at the near-post. Swans were then opened up twice on the right, keeper Jordan Johnson saving a shot on his line, and then pushing the ball away from another effort. Farnham continued to create openings, and two minutes before the break a shot from 25 yards passed wide of the right post. Johnson was soon brought into action again after the resumption, going down on his line to save a shot from the edge of the box by Charlie Oakley. Swans had a couple of chances of their own, Bufton beating down a strong shot from the right of the box by Hattabi, and Hamzah Williams driving the ball just over the goal from the right. But Farnham doubled their lead just before the hour when Charlie Oakley was allowed to get in a shot from the right edge of the box. Johnson got both hands to the ball, but it looped over his head and into the goal. Swans immediately made a double change, with Anderson Pinto-Nogueira and Simeon Dennis coming on for Rexhepi and Osei. But Johnson was soon doing well to just prevent the ball being put in at the far-post when it was crossed from the left. In trying to get back into the tie Swans continued to leave gaps at the back, and Johnson again had to save another shot from the edge of the box. Bufton was soon brought into action at the other end, getting behind a fine strike from the left by Jaydan Willis. Willis then swung over a free-kick from the right, and a far-post header was blocked on the goal-line. Another opportunity came for Swans with a free-kick 25 yards, but Pinto-Nogueira’s strike was straight at Bufton. Farnham glanced a near-post header across goal and wide from a right-side corner, before they made it 3-0 with just over a quarter of an hour remaining. Charlie Oakley was left free to run through a huge gap in the middle before driving the ball past Johnson. Oakley should have made it a personal hat-trick soon after, but put a clear chance wide. Leslie had had few opportunities to maintain his 100% scoring record for Swans, but with eight minutes left he had a chance in the right of the box when he latched onto a poor clearance, but his shot brought a good save from Bufton, who turned the ball round his near-post. Smith then drove a low shot wide when the ball came out to him following Willis’s long throw from the left. Balde then just failed to get to the ball close-in at the far-post when it was swung in from the left. A final chance for Swans to get on the scoresheet came in the last minute of normal-time, but Sam Marfo’s downward header was straight at Bufton when Willis curled in a free-kick from the right.

Swans’ Team: Jordan Johnson, Michael Winnister, Jaydan Willis, Hamzah Williams, Arber Rexhepi (Anderson Pinto-Nogueira 60’), Sam Marfo, Tyreke, Leslie, Sam Osei (Simeon Dennis 60’), Ryan Smith, Arif Hattabi (Parish Muirhead 73’), Mamadaliu Balde. Subs. not used: Paul Chalobah, Munashe Mwatsiya. Caution: Willis (28’).

Farnham Team: Bufton, Mitchell, Brainch, Sowden, Forster, H. Oakley, Nash, McDonald (Meaton 79’), C. Oakley, Peel (Whiddett 73’), Thomas (Verkaik 65’). Subs. not used: Smith, Sharratt. Scorers: Peel (32’), C. Oakley (58’ & 73’). Caution: Sowden (88’).