Friendly: Tooting & Mitcham United

Saturday 30 July 2011. Pre-Season Friendly.

Tooting & Mitcham United 1 Walton & Hersham 1.

There were enough signs in this match to give Swans confidence for the coming season. With the match having been switched at the last minute to Warlingham F.C.’s training ground, Swans were much the better of the two sides for the opening quarter of the match and could well have been at least a couple of goals up at that stage. The squad was much the same as last season with a few additions, including powerful striker Chamal Fenelon.

Fenelon was just wide with a glancing header after just two minutes when he got on the end of Steve Betancourt’s cross, the former youth team captain having made a run on the right. Phil Williams then just failed at the far-post to get on the end of Tommy William’s free-kick. Shaun Elliott’s good cross from the left picked out Graeme Purdy at the far-post, but his header was just wide, and when Richard Taylor sent in a long throw from the right the ball bounced through to Phil Williams at the far-post, his close-in header being pouched by the Tooting keeper on his line. Tooting’ first opening came just past the quarter of an hour when they put in a strong shot from the right, but Gareth Williams punched the ball over.

Swans were unlucky just a minute later when Tommy Williams found Fenelon on the right, and he cut inside before striking a low, left-foot shot against the right-post. Tom Nyarko then found Phil Williams at the far-post with a cross from the right, but after making room his shot was blocked. Tooting had rarely threatened Swans’ goal, but when another powerful shot came in from the right the ball struck the far-post. This triggered a good spell for them, and following a corner on the left a shot was deflected over.
Then with two minutes left to the break Tooting built up a move on the edge of the box and finished with a shot that beat Gareth Williams to put them 1-0 up. Swans soon equalised in the second-half, scoring after just four minutes.

Jason Pinnock came on for the second-half, but was injured straight away and Ashley Quashie replaced him. Quashie’s first touch was to send Fenelon down the left, and his low cross was converted by Phil Williams at the far-post. Gareth Williams had to make two attempts to save when Tooting got in to strike a low shot, but Phil Williams was soon getting through for Swans, and the Tooting keeper made a fine block. Gareth Williams also had to make an excellent block when Tooting made a break on the left to get in a strong shot. The hot, tiring conditions were making for an open game, and a clever through ball by Fenelon got Quashie in on the left, but his low cross was cleared away.

Tooting built up a good move and Gareth Williams had to save a low shot from the edge of the box. This was immediately followed by Quashie striking a good shot from 25 yards that was unfortunately straight at the Tooting keeper. Tooting again got through and Gareth Williams was quickly out to make an excellent block on the edge of his area. The Swans’ keeper, voted both supporters’ and players’ Player of the Season, was in fine form, and with two minutes remaining he was diving to his left to push wide a good strike from outside the box. Swans had the last chance right on full-time when Betancourt crossed from the left, and Jon Munday got in a far-post header that looped just wide.

Swans’ Team: Gareth Williams, Tom Nyarko (Jason Pinnock 45’ [Ashley Quashie 49’]), Shaun Elliott, Steve Betancourt, James Nicholls (Jon Munday 45’), Richard Taylor (James Nicholls 67’), Tommy Williams (Tom Nyarko 73’), Victor Kiri, Graeme Purdy (Richie Barroilhet 45’), Chamal Fenelon, Phil Williams (Dayo Junaid 69’).

Scorer: P. Williams (49’).

Tooting & Mitcham goal: 43’.