Molesey 6 Swans 2

Saturday 10 October 2015.                           Ryman League, Division One South.

Molesey 6   Walton & Hersham 2.

Swans put on an abject performance in their first competitive match in over seven years with their now nearest neighbours, who on the day were superior in all aspects of the game. Molesey have started their first season back in the Ryman League following their promotion in fine form, scoring goals consistently, and they capitalised against a Swans’ side that gave them far too much room and persistently surrendered the ball in key areas. There was little pressure put on the home defence however, and it was not until the dying minutes that Swans scored the goals that gave them a mere consolation. A side that showed just one change from that which had won so convincingly in their previous match, James Richmond returning in defence, failed to display any form and confidence they may have gained from that performance.

Swans actually started well, and in the first minute Molesey were fortunate when a clearing kick by their goalkeeper Liam Allen struck Myles Powponne on the left and the ball rebounded back towards goal, but it was cleared away. Then a good build up on the right ended with Jack Battie sending a low ball into the box, but it was too close to Allen.

Molesey soon began to look dangerous however, and after a quarter of an hour they forced a corner on the left, the first of four they won in a spell of five minutes. The second on the left taken by Craig Lewington was played short to James McShane, and when the ball was returned to Lewington his cross was nodded on, and the ball was just cleared at the far-post. Swans’ keeper Luke Badiali then had to clear the ball away from under his crossbar when Lewington sent over another kick from the right. The fourth corner came when Badiali made a good save from Ross Chalke, who had got in on the right. From Lewington’s kick on the left a header came in that Badiali took on his line.

Swans immediately had a chance at the other end, but Shaquille McIntosh could only find the side-netting with a shot from outside the box on the left.

The home side continued to threaten however, and after Stafforde Palmer had driven a shot well wide from the edge of the box, James Cottee was played in on the right to get in a dangerous cross that John Oyenuga did well to head clear at the far-post.

Andrew Mensah made a run in from the left for Swans to get the ball to Battie, who picked out McIntosh’s run into the box, but the ball was just cleared away.

Molesey took the lead after 35 minutes when Cottee pressurised Richmond on the left, who appeared to be fouled. McShane was able to break clear to play the ball across to Palmer outside the box on the right. Although Palmer’s low, left-foot shot carried little power Badiali appeared to be unsighted, and he just failed to reach the ball as it crept just inside the right post.

Five minutes later it was 2-0 when Swans failed to get the ball clear and Palmer struck another low, left-foot shot just inside the far-post from the left of the box.

André Scarlett’s through ball almost got Powponne through, but Allen just got to the ball, and in the first minute of stoppage-time Swans at last went close. McIntosh got the ball to Powponne on the left, and he cut back inside to strike a powerful right-foot shot that dipped just over.

Swans have tended to have better second-halves, so they had some hopes of getting back into the game, but just five minutes after the resumption those hopes were extinguished. Play was allowed to build-up unchallenged outside their box, and when the ball was played out to Ollie Robinson on the left he shot low inside the near-post to make it 3-0.

Mensah got the ball into the box from the left for Swans, but no-one could get on to it and Allen collected.

Molesey scored their fourth goal ten minutes into the second-half when they forced a corner on the right. Lewington drove the kick across and Ollie Robinson dived in at the near-post to score with a fine header.

Swans looked ragged and Palmer went close to his hat-trick, but shot wide after McShane had got to the byline on the right to lay the ball across. Badiali then had to make a good block at the far-post from McShane after Sam Robinson had taken a long throw from the left.

There was a lengthy hold-up when Molesey keeper Allen had to receive treatment when he was injured after dashing out to the right touchline to head the ball away.

Midway through the half Swans’ substitutes Shawn Lyle and David Koduah combined outside the box for Dominic Ogun to get the ball in low from the left, but the cross was too near keeper Allen.

Molesey scored their fifth goal after 72 minutes when Palmer crossed from the right, and McShane was unmarked close to the penalty-spot to head the ball over the upstretched arms of Badiali.

Three minutes later it was 6-0 as a long ball down the left was attempted to be headed clear by Richmond, but he completely miscued his header and the ball went across the pitch to McShane, who had a free run forward to drive a low shot inside the left-post.

Ogun was played down the left for Swans to get to the byline, but his cross was just taken on his line by Allen to deny the incoming strikers. Swans finally got a shot on target with two minutes of normal-time remaining, and it gave them the first of two consolations. Harry Mills was brought down two yards outside the ‘D’ of the penalty area, and Kadeem Ajeon drove the free-kick through the wall and past Allen.

Molesey still had two more chances at the other end. Substitute Reis Stanislaus crossed from the right and Cottee put a diving header wide of the near-post. Stanislaus then got in on the right to bring a good save from Badiali.

Swans had the last say however as three minutes into stoppage-time Powponne was played into the left of the box and finished with a neat low shot past Allen.

Swans’ Team: Luke Badiali, John Oyenuga, Dominic Ogun, André Scarlett, James Richmond, Harry Mills, Jack Battie (C-J. Williams-Agunabor 56’), Kadeem Ajeon, Andrew Mensah (David Koduah 60’), Shaquille McIntosh (Shawn Lyle 68’), Myles Powponne. Subs. not used: Sean Fallon, Shannon Wallace. Scorers: Ajeon (88’), Powponne (90+3’). Cautions: Richmond (35’), Battie (37’), Scarlett (50’), Lyle (69’), Powponne (78’).

Molesey Team: Allen, Chalke, Elliott, Lewington (Okai 73’), O. Robinson, Sheridan, Windsor (Grobler 77’), S. Robinson, Cottee, Palmer (Stanislaus 73’), McShane. Subs. not used: Charles, Rodney. Scorers: Palmer (35’ & 40’), O. Robinson (50’ & 55’), McShane (72’ & 75’). Caution: S. Robinson (37’).