Peacehaven & Telscombe 1 Swans 2

Saturday 19 September 2015.                           Ryman League, Division One South.

Peacehaven & Telscombe 1   Walton & Hersham 2.

Yet again Swans were faced with coming back from a goal down, the tenth time in succession, but they went on to do so to record their second away win on the trot. Only in the opening game of the season had they scored first, and again it was their opponents who took the lead with a goal after less than a quarter of an hour. But they went on to equalise late in the first-half, and after going ahead in the second went on to secure a deserved three points.

Swans made two changes from the side that had started in the win at Carshalton, Dominic Ogun returning from suspension, and new signing from Hampton & Richmond Borough, Dan Thompson, making his debut up front, C.J. Williams and Shaquille McIntosh being the players to drop out.

Swans made a bright start, moving the ball around well, and Regan Mendes got forward to drive in a low shot from outside the box, and a slight deflection took the pace off the ball and it ran through to home goalkeeper Amadou Tangara.

Peacehaven’s first effort was from fully 35 yards out, Lloyd Cotton’s shot clearing the bar, but they had a good chance to take the lead after eleven minutes. A long ball found Jamie Brotherton down the middle, and he got past Harry Mills, but Swans’ keeper Sean Fallon made a good save from his shot.

Play quickly switched to the other end and Andrew Mensah put a volley wide of the near-post from the right of the box.

The Sussex side’s lead came after thirteen minutes when Steve Brinkhurst got past John Oyenuga on the left to cross to the right of the box, where Brotherton was unmarked to send a firm header into the far-corner.

Swans went close to equalising after twenty minutes when Oyenuga laid the ball back from the right to Jack Battie. Battie struck a terrific volley from the right corner of the box that flew just over the far, top corner.

With ten minutes left to the break the home side had an opportunity when they won a free-kick just outside the left corner of the box, but Luke Donaldson drove the ball low and wide of the near-post.

As the half entered the final five minutes Swans equalised with a fine goal. Mensah made a tremendous surging run down the left touchline that left defenders trailing, and when he laid the ball across André Scarlett sent a first-time, left-foot shot past Tangara from just inside the left of the box. The midfielder had opened his Swans’ goal account on his debut on the same ground some two years previously.

Five minutes into the second-half Mills set up Thompson for a shot that was blocked, and when the ball broke to Mensah he volleyed wide from the left of the box. Mensah then played a one-two with Scarlett, whose through ball put the striker into the box, but he was just closed out.

Swans had started the second-half well, and just before the hour they took the lead. Battie did well on the right, beating his marker and laying the ball across to Mills, who drove a low, first-time shot past Tangara from the edge of the box.

The home side had a chance with twenty minutes remaining when Jon Marzetti sent in a free-kick from deep, but Tom Burton headed wide by the right-post. They immediately went even closer when Brotherton was played clear on the right, but as Fallon came out he lobbed the ball against the crossbar and over.

Swans continued to press the home defence however, and when Battie’s good ball found Mills on the right he cut back to get in a cross that went across goal and wide of the far-post. With a quarter of an hour left Swans almost repeated their second goal as more determined play by Battie on the right again got him past his marker, and he again picked out Mills on the edge of the box. The Swans’ skipper made himself room before driving in a shot that appeared to be blocked by a home defender’s arm, but concerted appeals for a penalty were denied. Another fine move led to Ogun crossing from the left, and Peacehaven defender Stacey Freeman had to head behind. Battie suffered a cut in a clash of heads and had to leave the pitch, resulting in Swans playing out the last five minutes plus stoppage-time with ten men, but they held on for a deserved win.

Swans’ Team: Sean Fallon, John Oyenuga, Regan Mendes, Dominic Ogun, Shannon Wallace, Harry Mills, Jack Battie, André Scarlett, Andrew Mensah (Myles Powponne 67’), Dan Thompson (Shaquille McIntosh 61’), Kadeem Ajeon (Adam Fletcher 80’). Subs. not used: C.J. Williams-Agunabor, Luke Badiali. Scorers: Scarlett (41’), Mills (59’). Cautions: Battie, foul (43’), Scarlett, foul (48’).

Peacehaven Team: Tangara, Marzetti, Brinkhurst, Martin (Marshall 66’), Freeman, Sutton, Hammond (Lawley 73’), Cotton, Donaldson (Rowe-Hurst 55’), Burton, Brotherton. Subs. not used: Schaaf, Manns. Scorer: Brotherton (13’). Cautions: Freeman, foul (79’), Lawley, foul (87’).