Swans 0 Camberley Town 0

Saturday 16 December 2017.     Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Premier Division.

Walton & Hersham 0   Camberley Town 0.

Swans had to settle for a point against a well-organised Camberley Town side who are the Division’s draw specialists, this latest being their 11th of the season. The chances were there to win the game, but the final finish was not quite there, and in the end it took a penalty miss by the visitors to ensure at least a point was gained and third place in the table retained.

Swans were unchanged from the previous match, both in personnel and formation.

The visitors had the first attempt on goal after four minutes, right-back Mark Jordan getting forward to get in a shot from 22 yards that home goalkeeper Brendan Norris got behind.

Swans quickly replied with TJ Nkoma getting down the right to drive in a cross that clipped the crossbar. Abdeen Abdul then got forward to hit a strong shot from 25 yards out on the left that Camberley keeper Kallum Lunn got well behind. Swans continued to press, and when Howard Newton clipped the ball into the box Chris Onoufriou nodded back from the left, but could not pick out a team-mate. With a quarter of an hour played Swans broke following a Camberley free-kick with Nkoma making a run on the right, before cutting inside and striking a low, left-foot shot that Lunn did well to save on his line. Onoufriou then took a corner from the right, and when the ball was nodded back Flo Bojaj struck a powerful volley from the right of the box that Camberley captain Phil Moore kept out by heading off the goal-line. Swans were awarded a free-kick in a good position just outside the right corner of the box, but Bojaj failed to pick out a team-mate as the ball drifted wide of the far-post.

Swans were again left frustrated with just under twenty minutes left of the half when Onoufriou sent a free-kick from 30 yards out into the right of the 6-yard box, and the ball came back off the post with both Abdul and Jake Newton just failing to turn it in.

Although Swans had created the best of the chances the visitors had also looked dangerous when they got forward, and with ten minutes left to the break Marcus Cousins got in a good strike from the right that brought a fine tip-over save from Norris.

Swans immediately had another chance at the other end when Nkoma broke away and set up Sam Shaban in the left of the box, but his low shot was just kept out by the legs of keeper Lunn, and the loose ball just eluded Bojaj, following in on the right. Then, in first-half stoppage-time, Jake Newton made a good run in on the right for Bojaj to have a shot blocked, and when the ball broke to Shaban on the left he put a low shot just wide of the far-post.

Swans continued to press after the resumption, and when Nkoma won the ball in the middle he got forward, but was wide with a low shot from 22 yards. Onoufriou then took a corner from the left, and when the ball came out to Jim Fenlon, Lunn got well behind his well-struck shot. Swans were again unfortunate when Bojaj made a good run forward before playing Nkoma through on the right. Nkoma cut inside before getting in a shot that beat keeper Lunn, but Moore had got back to block the ball and keep it out.

Camberley won a corner on the right, and this led to a scramble in the box before Norris finally claimed the ball.

Swans immediately broke and Shaban was found on the right, but after cutting inside his shot was weak and straight at Lunn. Athan Smith-Joseph then replaced Shaban with an hour played, and just seconds after coming on he had a chance to open the scoring with his first touch. The ball broke to him in the right of the box, and although he struck his shot well, he was unfortunate to see the ball kept out by the outstretched right leg of keeper Lunn.

The visitors began to see more of the ball and they were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position just outside the right corner of the box, but the ball was easily cut out by Norris. Fred Kelsey was then allowed to get forward to the left edge of the box to send a low shot wide of the far-post.

Then, with just under a quarter of an hour left, Camberley’s good spell looked to have paid off when they were awarded a penalty. They got into the right of the box and drew a foul challenge from Jake Newton. Former Swan Adam Francis stepped up to take the kick, but drove the ball high and wide of the right post.

Swans soon almost capitalised on the escape when Bojaj struck a fine shot from the left corner of the box that flew just over.

But they were grateful to their keeper as the visitors again went close to taking the lead. Moore hit a terrific shot from 35 yards that Norris kept out of the top, right corner with a superb, diving save to his left.

Swans were then unfortunate to lose Bojaj to injury with eight minutes of normal-time remaining, Cameron Gyeabour coming on.

With the final five minutes being played Camberley put a shot wide after getting in on the right, but Smith-Joseph and substitute Elliott Simpson combined on the right for Swans, and Simpson’s cross was just too high for Nkoma, close in at the far-post. Then, in stoppage-time, Smith-Joseph and Julian Hornby worked together on the right for Hornby to get the ball over to the far-post, and this time Nkoma made contact, but hooked wide. Swans continued to make determined efforts to get a last-gasp winner. Nkoma got clear on the left, but couldn’t get his cross in, and Abdul was just denied after cutting into the box from the left.


Swans’ Team: Brendan Norris, TJ Nkoma, Julian Hornby, Jake Newton, Jim Fenlon, Jamie Thoroughgood, Chris Onoufriou, Howard Newton (Elliott Simpson 67’), Abdeen Abdul, Flo Bojaj (Cameron Gyeabour 82’), Sam Shaban (Athan Smith-Joseph 59’). Caution: H. Newton.

Camberley Team: Lunn, Jordan, Kelsey, Moore, New, Brown (Wareham 70’), Cousins, Wynter, Francis, Nicholls, Hoppitt. Subs. not used: Samuels, Jackson, Derry, Ellis-Jones. Cautions: New, Brown, Wynter.