Swans 2 Glebe 2 (aet). Glebe won 3-1 on pens.

Tuesday 15 October 2016.                                                         FA Vase, 2nd Round.

Walton & Hersham 2   Glebe 2.            After extra-time.           Glebe won 3-1 on penalties.

Swans’ hopes of an extended run in their first season in the FA Vase were dashed in a penalty shoot-out at Stompond Lane. They twice surrendered a lead against uncompromising and physical opponents from the Southern Counties East League Division One, but could not find another goal before the end of extra-time, and a dire series of penalty-kicks put them out.

That finale summed up a disappointing performance from a Swans’ side that sorely missed the commanding presence in defence of the unavailable Jamie Thoroughgood. Thoroughgood’s absence meant Louis Taylor dropping back from midfield, and with Corey Haywood-Roye a late drop-out, Shaun Smart came in for his debut at right-back.

The visitors soon built-up an attack on the right, and when the ball was played to the far-post home goalkeeper Liam Beach had to save at his near-post a shot from the left of the six-yard box. Swans quickly responded with Howard Newton playing, Jordan Wisdom-Muir in on the right, but his low shot was just wide of the far-post.Glebe looked the dominant side in the opening quarter of an hour however, and they went close to taking the lead. Sam Long sent a free-kick into the box and the ball got through to Ryan Golding inside the six-yard box, but his stooping header was just deflected wide.

Glebe keeper Adam Molloy was tested for the first time when Billy Marshall took a free-kick from deep on the right and Wisdom-Muir got in a low shot from the right of the box that could only be parried and a corner resulted.

Glebe’s Long then looked well offside as he was sent clear on the right, but he completely shanked his shot and Beach saved easily.

Swans took the lead midway through the half after they won a corner following Marshall’s free-kick from deep on the right. From the right-side kick Taylor got to the near-post to send a fine, glancing header in-off the bar.

As the half entered the final five minutes a clearance went straight to Newton on the right, and he got into the box to set up a chance for Jamil Okai at the near-post, but the ball was forced behind for a corner.

Swans looked like going into the break a goal up, but Glebe equalised with a soft goal in the first minute of stoppage-time. Following Davy-Jo Anderson’s long throw from the right a corner was won on the left. The ball was not cleared from the kick and Charlie McCarthy stabbed it over the line.

Swans made a change for the second-half with former Molesey striker Joe Grant replacing Wisdom-Muir, and it took only three minutes for the change to pay dividends. The ball was played over from the right, and keeper Molloy let it slip from his grasp for Grant to slot home at the far-post, putting Swans back in the lead.

Okai was soon playing TJ Nkoma in on the right to have a shot blocked for a corner, but Swans’ lead was only to last five minutes. Long had a low shot from outside the box deflected wide, and the corner from the left led to the ball being put behind at the near-post. The second corner found Golding at the far-post, and he planted a header into the far-corner.

Swans tried to hit back, and Nkoma had a low, left-foot shot from outside the box pushed away by Molloy. Marshall’s free-kick into the box from the left was just cleared away, and this led to Golding becoming the first of several visiting players to be shown a yellow card, Fred Obasa and Long quickly becoming the second and third.

Swans struggled to create openings, and with just over a quarter of an hour remaining Glebe went close when they cut in on the right to have a strong shot deflected for a corner. Obasa then sent the ball over from the left and Beach had to tip it over his crossbar. In the final minute of normal-time the Swans’ keeper had to make a better tip-over when Golding got in a fine strike from the left.

Swans had one last chance to prevent the tie going to extra-time when substitute Scott Todd got forward into space on the right, but his cross could not find a teammate.

Glebe had a free-kick just outside the box early in the first period of extra-time, but Fraser Cronin sent the ball straight through to Beach.

Swans’ best effort was a free-kick from 35 yards out by Seb Castello that Molloy had to tip over.

The visitors had three more players booked in a four minute spell early in the second period of extra-time, James Day, Jamal Alexander and McCarthy all transgressing. This was followed by the Glebe manager being booked, before being sent to the stand three minutes later.

With no further openings for either side the tie went to a penalty shoot-out. Glebe scored with their first kick, but Swans restored parity through Todd. Swans sniffed a chance when Beach pushed Obasa’s kick onto the post, but they failed to convert any of their next three penalties, while Glebe made no mistake with their next two. Okai had a weak effort saved by Molloy, Nkoma hit the right-post, and Swans’ fate was sealed when the keeper had no trouble keeping out another tentative penalty from Taylor.

Swans’ Team: Liam Beach, Shaun Smart, Sam Bates, Billy Marshall (Cameron Gyeabour 77’), Lea Van Sullivan, Louis Taylor, Jordan Wisdom-Muir (Joe Grant 45’), Seb Castello, Jamil Okai, Howard Newton (Scott Todd 77’), TJ Nkoma. Subs. not used: Victor Asombang, Casey Castle. Scorers: Taylor (23’), Grant (48). Cautions: Taylor, Bates.

Glebe Team: Molloy, Anderson, Borland (Alexander 62’), Day, Dennis, McCarthy, Long, Cronin, Golding, Ka Tung (Jerome 70’), Obasa. Subs. not used: O’Keefe, Tobon, Bilal. Scorers: McCarthy (45+1’), Golding (53’). Cautions: Golding, Obasa, Long, Day, Alexander, McCarthy.

Glebe penalty-kicks: McCarthy, scored (1-0), Obasa, saved (1-1), Dennis, scored (2-1), Golding, scored (3-1).

Swans’ penalty-kicks: Todd, scored (1-1), Okai, saved (1-1), Nkoma, missed (1-2), Taylor, saved (1-3).