Swans 4 Guernsey 0

Saturday 30 November 2013.                                           Ryman League, Division One South.


Walton & Hersham 4    Guernsey 0.

Will Turl’s second hat-trick of the season helped Swans to an excellent win over first-time opponents Guernsey. James Cameron could not have wished for a better start to his permanent tenure as first-team boss as his team responded with a fine, high work-rate display in an early-kick-off match at Stompond Lane. Such was Swans’ dominance that goalkeeper Dane Buss was seldom tested by the Channel Islanders, who had made an impressive start to their first season in the Ryman League.

John Clark was free to return at right-back, allowing Ashley Thompson to move forward, where he had a fine match. Sonny Ayres came in for his first start with Louis Glace-Palmer reverting to the bench.

Swans got off to the perfect start, taking the lead inside the first two minutes. Juan Onieva made a strong run forward before laying the ball off to Turl on the right, from where he drove a crisp, low shot into the far-corner past visiting keeper Chris Tardif.

Guernsey began to put together some attacks and Dave Rihoy got past Chris Grayland on the right, but put a low shot straight at Buss.

Swans responded by doubling their lead ten minutes into the match. André Scarlett’s through ball split the visitors’ defence to get Samad Kazi into the left of the box. With Tardif out to challenge it seemed at first the chance was lost, but Kazi managed to retain the ball before crossing low into the six-yard box. Ayres just failed to get a touch, but the ball ran to Turl at the far-post, and he passed it into net.

Swans continued to press the visitors’ defence, and Ayres turned on the edge of the box to send a lob over. Midway through the half Ayres nodded the ball on and Tardif just denied Onieva inside the right of the six-yard box.

The visitors tried to get into the match and Grayland had to clear behind at the near-post when the ball was driven in low from the left.

With ten minutes left of the half Ayres had another chance for Swans when Scarlett played him into the left of the box, but his low shot was taken by Tardif at his near-post. Andy Lomas then knocked the ball past a Guernsey player before making a terrific surging run to get him clear down the left from the halfway line and into the box, but again Tardif was well-placed at his near-post to save his shot.

Guernsey got in a cross from the left for Glyn Dyer to get in a header at the far-post that Buss took easily.

In the final minute of the half Ayres did well on the edge of the visitors’ box before making a fine turn and getting in a shot that Tardif tipped over with a good save.

Guernsey came out for the second-half looking determined to get a foothold in the game, and in the first minute Rihoy was allowed to get forward, but his low shot went straight through to Buss. Dyer then played Marc McGrath into the left of the box, but again his low shot was easily taken by Buss.

Swans almost capitalised when a Guernsey attack broke down and Lomas got away down the left before finding Kazi, but his low cross failed to pick out a colleague in the middle. But seven minutes into the second-half Swans made it 3-0 to kill off the visitors’ challenge. Clark sent in a high cross from the right, Scarlett flicked the ball on and Turl nodded over Tardif at the far-post to complete his hat-trick.

There could have been a chance to make it 4-0 soon after, but the referee ignored claims for a penalty when a Guernsey played appeared to handle the ball in the box.

Swans continued to command the rest of the match, but it was two minutes into stoppage-time before they added to their score. Clark took a free-kick from the right touchline and Turl headed the ball back across at the far-post for substitute Jake Baxter to nod home from on the goal-line.

Swans’ Team: Dane Buss, John Clark, Andy Lomas, Ashley Thompson, Chris Grayland, Jon Boswell, Samad Kazi (Dylan Cascoe 77’), André Scarlett, Will Turl, Sonny Ayres (Jake Baxter 60’), Juan Onieva (John Oyenuga 60’). Subs. not used: Louis Glace-Palmer, Nathan Oliver. Scorers: Turl (2’, 10’ & 52’), Baxter (90+2’).                         

Guernsey Team: Tardif, De La Mare, Dodd, MacKay, Le Prevost, Mahon, Dyer (Isabelle 63’), Rihoy, Heaume, McGrath (Hutton 57’), Loaring. Cautions: Mahon, Loaring, Heaume.