Swans let 2-0 lead slip again.

Saturday 3 November 2012.                                             Ryman League, Division One South.


Chipstead 2    Walton & Hersham 2.


Swans let slip a 2-0 lead for the second away league match running, only this time they came away with a share of the points, and they will feel highly aggrieved at the contentious penalty award nine minutes from time that denied them a win.

With Dan Sintim serving a one match suspension and Dan Dean having moved to the opposition, Chris Wales filled in alongside Greg Ngeno in central defence.

Chipstead came at Swans straight from the kick-off, forcing two quick corner-kicks, both of which led to headers going close.

Swans continued to look unsettled by the home side’s strong start, so it was against the run of play when they took the lead after just four minutes. Aryan Tajbakhsh took a long throw-in from the right, and when Graeme Purdy nodded on, Phil Williams hooked the ball into the top of the net.

Chipstead were soon attacking again down the right, and Liam Collins was adjudged to have handled the ball just outside the right edge of the box as a cross was driven in. Bruce Hogg drove the free-kick to the near-post, and the ball was just forced wide. Swans did not look at all secure at the back, and when Josh Andrew crossed from the right, Connor French clipped a first-time shot over. James McShane then put a shot just wide of the near-post as another cross came in from the right.

Swans had an opportunity when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the box, but Tajbakhsh sent his effort dipping over. Adriano Moraes’ free-kick from deep on the left was superbly struck however, and Greg Ngeno headed just over the bar.

Swans had become more composed, and midway through the half they were denied a possible goal-scoring opportunity. Williams made a surging run down the right, riding an illegal challenge before breaking clear, only for the referee to blow up and bring the play back to award a free-kick for the earlier foul.

But after 26 minutes Swans doubled their lead. The Chipstead defence failed to deal with a ball down the middle, and Harold Odametey got clear into the box before coolly taking the ball around goalkeeper Martin Grant and slotting home.

Ten minutes before the break Moraes sent in a fine cross from the left that was just too high for Williams in the middle.

Swans needed to finish the half 2-0 up, but with five minutes remaining Collins needlessly conceded a free-kick on the left, and from McShane’s delivery Jason Goodchild came in at the far-post to slide the ball into the far-corner and halve the deficit. There was still time for Chipstead to make a break down the right and drive a dangerous, low ball across the six-yard box that Tajbakhsh did well to intercept at the far-post and get clear.

The home side had the first chance of the second-half ten minutes in when French turned well inside the right of the box to get in a low shot that Swans’ keeper Sheikh Ceesay saved at his near-post. Goodchild then put a header just over from Hogg’s right-side corner.

Swans almost had a chance when Grant dropped the ball from Gary Frewen’s corner from the right, but the home keeper recovered in time to collect.

With a quarter of an hour remaining Swans had an escape when a header came in at the far-post from Hogg’s right-side corner, and the ball was cleared off the line.

At the other end Frewen crossed from the right for Collins to get in a low header from the edge of the box, and Will Turl just failed to get a touch as the ball ran through towards the goal.

But as the match entered the final ten minutes Chipstead got in a cross from the left into the box, and Rob Haworth seemed to do no more than collide with Moraes, but the referee pointed to the spot. McShane drove home the penalty to tie the match up at 2-2.

Frewen soon had a chance to regain Swans’ lead, but his good strike from the right of the box was well taken by Grant.

Swans’ Team: Sheikh Ceesay, Aryan Tajbakhsh, Adriano Moraes, Victor Kiri, Greg Ngeno, Chris Wales, Liam Collins, Harold Odametey, Graeme Purdy (Will Turl 69’), Phil Williams (Gary Frewen 60’), Jason Henry (Jacek Magdzinski 60’). Subs. not used: Ashley Quashie, Audie Matheson-Light. Scorers: Williams (4’), Odametey (26’). Cautions: Moraes, foul (21’), Collins, kicked ball away (90+3’).  

Chipstead Team: Grant, Andrew, Hogg, Murphy (Graham 45’), Dean, Preddie, Goodchild, Scarlett, French (Haworth 67’), Lodge (Gordon 67’), McShane. Subs. not used: Jelley, Green. Scorers: Goodchild (40’), McShane, penalty (81’).