Whyteleafe League Cup Report

Tuesday 18 October 2011.                                          Alan Boon League Cup, 2nd Round.  

Whyteleafe 0    Walton & Hersham 2 .

Although they may not have picked up any much-needed points at Whyteleafe, Swans at last got a moral boosting win, putting on a good performance to progress in the Alan Boon League Cup. A team unchanged from the previous Saturday’s abandoned match looked very sharp in the first-half, dominating their hosts and forcing a double-figure corner-kick count in their favour, but having to settle for a slim 1-0 lead at the break. The home side came much more into the game in the second-half and it was a much tighter affair, Swans having to wait until the final minute to secure their passage into the next round.

The opening minutes mainly belonged to Swans as they built up some neat attacks, but it was Whyteleafe that had the first chance when Billy Dunn got in on the left to drive a shot to the near-post that goalkeeper Rodney Chiweshe beat away. Dunn regained possession on the left to drive the ball across the goal-face.

Swans’ best chance so far came a minute later when Kenny Ojukwu made a good break to the edge of the box, but he put a strong effort over the top, right-corner. Ojukwu again went close when Michael Gordon made a clever run on the right before whipping in a cross to the near-post for Ojukwu to put a fine volley just wide.

Swans took the lead midway through the half when Shaun Elliott cut in from the left to strike a shot that home keeper Paul Smith could only block, and Ojukwu followed up to score. Ojukwu set up Victor Kiri for a run into the box from the left, but he did not hit his shot well and Smith was able to save. Josh Webb then whipped in a free-kick from wide on the left that Smith had to take high at his near-post. Just before the half hour Ojukwu could have done better when he got his head to Webb’s cross from the left, but he cleared the bar from close-in.

Dorian Smith was guilty of giving the ball away close to half-way, and this allowed Whyteleafe to send Stephane Gnamore racing clear, but Chiweshe came out to make a superb block. Graeme Purdy was soon setting up Ojukwu at the other end to put in a good strike that keeper Smith did well to block. Webb then played a corner short to Gordon on the right, and he made another tricky run before whipping a cross over to the far-post, where Purdy was just denied from getting in a header. With first-half stoppage-time being played Gordon made another fine run on the right to get a ball in that was just cleared away.

The pattern for the second-half was soon set as Swans’ attacks began to dry up as they were pushed further back by a more determined looking home side. With a quarter of the match left the ball was nodded on from Webb’s free-kick and Ojukwu was clearly pushed in the back as he was about to get in a header, but again good penalty claims were turned down. Ojukwu was soon getting his foot to another Webb free-kick into the box, but he could not generate any power and Smith was able to take. Purdy did superbly on the left to leave Leafe right-back Kwabena Agyei beaten before laying the ball across to Webb on the edge of the box, his low strike fizzing just wide of the left-post. Elliott then drove a free-kick over the bar from outside the right corner of the box.

Chiweshe was brought into action at the other end, pushing away a powerful strike from 25 yards, but although Leafe’s Fred Fleming followed up to drive the ball over, the flag was already up for offside. Chiweshe made a good save to his left when Bajrush Halili put in a fine strike from outside the box, but again the referee’s assistant was flagging for offside.

With the final five minutes being played Chiweshe’s clearance set James Cottee, who had just replaced Purdy, on a clever run to the edge of the box, where he was crudely brought down by Danny Dudley, who was duly booked. Gordon’s free-kick dipped just over. In the final minute of normal-time Swans clinched their passage through to the next round by doubling their lead. Ryan Adams sent a long ball into the box for Whyteleafe’s Fleming, under pressure from Ojukwu, to deflect the ball towards goal with his head, only to find his keeper Smith had left his line, and the ball rolled slowly over the line for an own goal. Ojukwu had a chance to double his own personal tally in stoppage-time when he almost got through, but the ball was blocked away for another corner.

Swans’ Team: Rodney Chiweshe, Ryan Adams, Shaun Elliott, Dorian Smith (Jerome Maledon 70’), Dan Sintim, Stuart Derry, Josh Webb (Ashlee Quashie 83’), Victor Kiri, Graeme Purdy (James Cottee 83’), Michael Gordon, Kenny Ojukwu. Subs. not used: Phil Williams, Gareth Williams. Scorers: Ojukwu (21’), Fleming, own goal (90’). Caution: Cottee, foul (90+3’).                   

Whyteleafe Team: Smith, Agyei, Taylor, Fleming, Dudley, Brown, Douglin, Williams (Halili 63’), Simpson, Gnamore, Dunn (Garrick 45’). Subs. not used: Aldous, Stripp, Henry-Brown. Cautions: Fleming, foul (77’), Dudley, foul (87’).