Youth Team Reports

League Opener For Youth Team
Tuesday 20th August 2013
Ryman Youth Central
Kingstonian 2 Swans 0

Adam Bessent’s young Swans kicked off their league campaign away to Kingstonian, but unfortunately came away with nothing to show for their hard fought efforts, particularly in the second half.
K’s edged the play in the first half and went in 1-0 up at half time thanks to a lucky rebound from a challenge by the on-rushing Swans keeper which fell nicely to another K’s forward who slotted home after 12 minutes.
The Swans were more eager in the second half, but were unfortunately reduced to ten men for a second bookable offence after 58 minutes. This spurred the Swans on even more and they dominated most of the play to the end of the game.
K’s second goal came from a soft penalty decision one minute from normal time, but Swans continued to battle and nearly snatched a deserved late goal, only narrowly denied by the K’s keeper’s fingertips and the crossbar.

Youth Team First League Home Game
Tuesday 28th August 2013
Ryman Youth Central
Swans 1 Carshalton Athletic 3

Adam Bessent’s young Swans continue to show good progress even though they are still waiting for their first win and the score line does not reflect on the effort and performance of his team in this game.
Swans made a good attacking start to the first half, with some nice passing moves, but unfortunately could not turn their early dominance into a goal. Carshalton started to get their play together after 15 minutes and always looked dangerous in attack in what was an evenly contested first half.
On 25 minutes, a breakaway through ball opened up the Swans defence and a Carshalton forward ran onto it, slotting past the advancing Swans keeper.
Swans started the second half brightly, again placing Carshalton under pressure, but were undone for a second time by another breakaway attack against the run of play after 54 minutes. The Carshalton forward had another 1 on 1 with the on-rushing Swans keeper and this time just managed to knock the ball home past him from the edge of the area.
Swans responded quickly and were back in the game within 3 minutes when a perfectly flighted free-kick from the right was met by the head of Stephen Houghton who nodded the ball sweetly into the right hand corner of the Carshalton goal.
Swans again picked up the pace and continued to dominate large spells of the rest of the half as they pressed for an equaliser. However, with minutes to go, Carshalton sealed the match with their third goal when their forward produced a quick shot across the Swans penalty area and the ball nestled in the bottom left hand corner.

Our thanks go to Robert Watt for these superb reports.