Swans 4 FC Deportivo Galicia 0

Tuesday 8th September 2020.        Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Division One.

Walton & Hersham 4    FC Deportivo Galicia 0.

Swans made it two wins out of two, with ten goals scored and none conceded, following another impressive performance against a good footballing side. Their opponents looked comfortable on a surface they are familiar with, playing their home games on the 3G of Bedfont Sports, but they seldom threatened the home goal, and Swans’ goalkeeper Liam Allen had another relatively quiet ninety minutes. In defence however, they had problems dealing with the powerful forward play of Dominic Ogun and the pace of Sean McCormack, who shared the four goals. Ogun, starting up front in place of Jamie Byatt, could well have had a hat-trick with a bit more fortune in front of goal.

The inclusion of Ogun was one of two changes to the starting line-up, with Reece Brewster coming into central defence in place of Max Hustwick, who picked up a rib injury in the opening game.

The visitors started confidently, having the bulk of the possession, but they went behind after seven minutes following Swans’ first really concerted piece of attacking play. Darren Simpson played the ball through to Ogun, whose run into the box was too strong for his marker, and he drove a powerful, right-foot shot into the top of the net.

It only took five minutes for Swans to double their lead and go a long way to securing the win. Stuart Baldwin got Dan Taylor away on the right, and he played the ball inside to Yucef Azzouz, who made room in the box before setting-up McCormack to his left for the finish.

Swans then seemed to have a good case for a penalty turned down when the ball appeared to strike the arm of Razy Nadeem in the box.

Alvaro Castano tried a low, long-range effort for the visitors, but Allen gathered easily on his line.

Swans went close to making it 3-0 with seventeen minutes played when Ogun combined in the right of the box with Taylor, who shot low across the goal-face from a tight angle. Anton Fernandez struck another long-range shot wide of the right-post for the visitors, but Swans again went close. McCormack laid the ball back from the left to Ogun, just inside the box, and his clever lob over keeper Manuel Lamas dipped just wide of the right-post. Azzouz then struck a free-kick from ten yards outside the box, and the ball took a big deflection to loop over for a corner.

With five minutes left of the half Swans made it 3-0. The ball was played through to Ogun, and he again used his strength to get into the box, before neatly slotting low inside the right-post.

Ogun soon had a chance to complete a first-half hat-trick when Taylor got him into the right of the box, but under pressure he shot just wide of the near-post.

The visitors finished the first-half strongly however, and Saj Qail struck a powerful shot from well out on the left that flew just over the far, top corner. Castano then made a good run across the box from the right to have a shot tipped over by Allen.

Swans went close to extending their lead soon after the resumption when Tom Henzi drove in a shot from the left, and keeper Lamas just managed fumble the ball round his right-post. From Azzouz’s corner on the left, Ogun nodded the ball back at the far-post for McCormack to get in a header that clipped the crossbar. Ogun was immediately doing well in the right of the box to make space before driving in a left-foot shot that Lamas kept out at his near-post.

With just five minutes played of the half the visitors’ task became harder when they were reduced to ten men. Castano caught Alex Kelly with a late tackle that sent the Swans’ midfielder tumbling, and was shown a straight red-card.

Lamas was soon denying Ogun again, just getting a low shot from the left of the box round his near-post.

With just over an hour played the visitors created their best opening of the match when they got down the right to cross to the far-post, but a downward header went straight to Allen.

Swans immediately got to the other end for Ogun to make room in the right of the box, but Lamas managed to block a low shot with his legs.

With twenty minutes played of the half Swans got their fourth goal. A free-kick was awarded 30 yards out, and McCormack struck the ball superbly into the bottom left corner, with Lamas getting a slight touch, but finding the shot too strong to keep out.

The visitors had a free-kick of their own some distance from goal, and Felipe Nogaledo cleared the bar with his attempt on goal.

Ogun had two more chances to complete his hat-trick. McCormack won the ball in the right of the box to set him up, but he could only find the side-netting from a tight angle. A fine through ball by Owen Coleman then sent Ogun clear, but he was just closed out before he could get his shot away.

Nogaledo then threatened to get clear at the other end, but good tracking-back by Baldwin snuffed out the opportunity.

With just over ten minutes remaining Joe Sewell played a fine ball from deep on the left to find fellow Swans’ substitute Byatt well-placed on the edge of the box, but although his low shot beat keeper Lamas, the ball rolled just wide of the right-post. It was the third substitute, Pierce McNamara, who went close to getting Swans’ fifth goal with four minutes remaining when he struck a terrific shot from the edge of the box, but Lamas just managed to get fingertips to the ball and deflect it onto his right-post.

Swans’ Team: Liam Allen, Dan Taylor, Owen Coleman, Alex Kelly, Reece Brewster, Stuart Baldwin, Yucef Azzouz (Jamie Byatt 58’), Tom Henzi, Dominic Ogun (Joe Sewell 74’), Darren Simpson (Pierce McNamara 68’), Sean McCormack. Subs. not used: Michael Cayford, Jigar Kumar. Scorers: Ogun (7’ & 40’), McCormack (12’ & 65’). Cautions: Simpson, foul (53’), Coleman, kicked ball away (70’).   

FCDG Team: Lamas, Naut, Igozouin, Thomas, Philogene (Nogaledo), Nadeem, Castano, Qail, Fernandez, Orobio-Monroy (Delabo Jnr.), Soussi (Ruiz). Sub. not used: Delabo Snr. Dismissal: Castano, foul (50’).